Best Woven Truth is a collection of my favourite quotes from my favourite spoken word poems. You see, I have been an artist since I was 6 years of age, first a dancer for a decade, which I still am, because you never stop being an artist. Then, a storyteller, a poet from the past five years. So the idea of amalgamating my love for the stage and my love for writing and expressing myself meshed perfectly in Spoken Word. Here are some of the lines that have, and will continue to, hit my core whenever I revisit these poems:
“They say the womb is where we learn love is knowing the cord that feeds you could at any moment wrap around your neck.” (1)
“See, I only doused myself in gasoline when you handed me that match because I was tired of being a metaphor. I mean, why is it always about burning?” (2)
“How can something be there, and then not be there? How do we forgive ourselves for all the things we did not become” (3)
“What is more teen girl than not being loved, but wanting it so badly that you accept the smallest crumb and call yourself full?” (4)
“Kiss as many people as you need to get the stamp of his lips off of your brain. Go to museums, realise other things have history too.” (5)
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THIS CONTENT. IT IS OWNED BY BUTTONPOETRY AND THE ARTISTS THEMSELVES. I am solely posting these in order to share some of the words that have inspired me.
If you enjoyed reading these, and further listening to the poems by clicking on their titles that will direct you to their videos on youtube, please like this post, share, comment your favourite lines or any other spoken word poetry you like, and follow my blog for more poetry content.
(1) ButtonPoetry. “Andrea Gibson – ‘Prism.’” YouTube, YouTube, 27 Aug. 2017, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6-HpnlcafY&t=25s.
(2) ButtonPoetry. “Sabrina Benaim – ‘How to Unfold a Memory’ .” YouTube, YouTube, 15 Jan. 2017, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ufVWYrKPM4.
(3) ButtonPoetry. “Doc Luben – ‘14 Lines from Love Letters or Suicide Notes.’” YouTube, YouTube, 24 Nov. 2014, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4cEW15SdE.
(4) ButtonPoetry. “Olivia Gatwood – ‘When I Say That We Are All Teen Girls.’” YouTube, YouTube, 23 Jan. 2018, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHaCKwYCFZs&t=25s.
(5) ButtonPoetry. “Victoria Morgan – ‘How to Succeed in Heartbreak’ .” YouTube, YouTube, 22 June 2015, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dET5qvaS7jk.